Because the most important requirements aren’t on any syllabus.
1. Staying up all night talking to someone you just met.
2. Taking a class that has nothing to do with your major.
3. Being broke and surviving it. (Thank you, Ramen.)
4. Growing to care about someone drastically different from you.
5. Sneaking onto the highest roof on campus.
6. Dramatically changing your appearance, just because you can.
7. Going a weekend without any technology.
8. Making a major life decision your parents don’t approve of.
9. Becoming good friends with a professor.
10. Reading books that aren’t on the curriculum.
11. Making out with someone whose name you can’t remember.
12. Being on a first-name basis with a bartender or bouncer.
13. Having a drunken singalong in the middle of campus.
14. Falling in love.
15. Falling out of love.
16. Losing your faith in love.
17. Falling in love again, anyway.
NBC / Via gifrific.com
18. Staying up all night to study for an exam.
19. Then falling asleep during it.
20. Understanding the meaning of privilege.
21. Understanding the meaning of oppression.
22. Identifying so strongly with a cause that it made you angry.
23. Skipping class to go to a protest.
24. Being sexiled.
25. Sexiling someone.
26. Doing community service.
27. Getting rejected for something you really, really want.
28. Going to events just for the free food.
29. Changing your major.
30. Changing your professional goals.
31. Learning when to say “yes.”
32. And learning how to say “no.”
33. Finding a favorite book that you didn’t read in high school.