A Florida high school was evacuated after a staffer misheard the word “bong” as “bomb.”
The mix-up occurred Wednesday at Marianna High School when a parent called a staff member to discuss some “inappropriate items” that had been found among the student’s things.
One of them was a bong. However, the staff member misunderstood the caller and thought a bomb had been brought into the school, prompting an emergency evacuation of the entire campus, Jackson County School District officials say.
Downplaying the miscommunication and subsequent overreaction, Superintendent H. Larry Moore on Thursday commended school officials for their “quick action as we strive to keep our schools safe.”